[GUIDE] STEP by STEP GUIDE for ROOT, RECOVERY & CUSTOM ROM INSTALLATION

Discussion in 'Third Party Development' started by Naser Ali, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Naser Ali New Member

[Edited : 27 Aug. Reason: Clarified all the clarifications]

Hello all,

I am creating this thread for all the noobs out there (including me )
    This GUIDE has complete step by step process for
    ROOTING,
    INSTALLING CUSTOM RECOVERY (TWRP) and
    INSTALLING a CUSTOM ROM

on your Opp Find 5.

Post your queries in comments and i will try to answer them.

STEP BY STEP COMPLETE GUIDE TO ROOT, INSTALL TWRP and INSTALL CUSTOM ROM

1. Go to XDA Forum - http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2130276 & download Framaroot.apk
    2. Download your preferred custom ROM and correspnding GAPPS.
    3. Connect the phone to your PC.
    4. Copy the Framaroot.apk into your phone.
    5. Copy the ROM.zip and GAPPS.zip into the phone.
    6. Disconnect your phone from the PC.
    7. In your phone, goto Settings -> Developer Options and set 'USB Debugging' ON.
    8. Install the copied 'Framaroot' onto your phone.
    9. Open Framaroot app, select 'Install SuperSU' and click 'Gandalf'.
    10. Install Titanium Backup from Playstore.
    11. Open Titanium backup and make a Backup
    - This is a backup of Contacts, SMS, Apps, App Settings, System Settings, etc
    12. Install Recovery Tools from Playstore.
    13. Open Recovery tools app, select 'Flash TWRP recovery'.
    14. Open Recovery tools app, select 'Reboot to recovery'.
    15. In the TWRP screen, make a Backup first.
    - This is a backup of the current operating system.
    16. In the TWRP screen, Wipe -> Factory Reset. (This will Wipe Data, Cache, Dalvik)
    17. In the TWRP screen, Install -> Select the ROM.zip
    18. In the TWRP screen, Add more ZIPS -> Select the GAPPS.zip
    19. In the TWRP screen, select 'Confirm'
    20. In the TWRP screen, After installation of ROM, Select 'Wipe Cache and Dalvik'
    21. In the TWRP screen, After installation of ROM, Select Home -> Wipe -> Advanced Wipe -> Wipe Data
    22. In the TWRP screen, Select 'Reboot'.
    23. Restore from Titanium backup. However restore only the essential things like SMS, Contacts. Restoring system settings, app settings might cause problems.
    24. After making sure that everything works fine, now go to 'File Manager' and delete the backup done in Step #15

NOTE:
    1. In order to install CM, AOKP and have the Radio / WIFI working, you need to come from a 4.1 ROM (Either Color ROM 4.1 or the Oppo Stock ROM 4.1)
    - If you come from a 4.2 Color ROM (Chinese ROM) and install CM, AOKP, then the Radio and WIFI will not work.

2. There are 4 kinds of wipe - (1)Factory Reset, (2)Wipe Cache, (3)Wipe Data, (4)Wipe Dalvik
    - (1) = (2)+(3)+(4) needs to be done BEFORE installation of ROM, GAPPS.
    - (2),(3),(4) needs to be done AFTER installation of ROM, GAPPS.
    - After booting to OS, if playsotre is not available, then boot to TWRP recovery again and flash GAPPS.zip (No wiping required)

3. For flashing a kernel you dont need to wipe anything. Just flash the kernel zip in recovery.
    - If you update CM to a newer version, you have to reflash the kernel again.

4. Wiping needs to be done only while switching between ROMS and not while upgrading the same ROM
    - Ex: Color ROM to CM, then Wiping is required.
    - CM Nightly 1 to CM Nightly 2, then Wiping is not required.
    - However, Wiping can be done if you encounter any problems.

5. The vast majority of ROMs wipe system as part of the zip install. This means that in most cases you do not need to wipe system from TWRP screen.

- Thank You.
    Josef Džujík and Luca F like this.
  2. Taryup Active Memberse

Factory Reset: Often it's best recommended to do a factory reset when you change you ROM, like it says in close to all threads regarding any form of ROM installation. Form what I've heard you reduce your change of bricking the device if you do a factory reset when changing ROM.

ROM.zip and GAPPs.zip often works to install in one shot, but if you get stuck in a bootloop or similar, you should try to install them separately. However, I always install them in one shot except for when the specific ROM instruction says you shouldn't.

If you wipe your data before installation of the ROM, you should not wipe it after the installation. If you install the ROM and GAPPS and then wipe data, the GAPPS will be removed.

Factory reset is not needed after a fresh installation of a ROM.

So, to clearify:
    Before installation you should: Wipe Data and Factory Reset.
    After installation you should: Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache.
  3. Taryup Active Memberse

Also, when you update a ROM, you don't have to wipe cache or data, unless the developer of the ROM says so of course.
  4. Naser Ali New Member

@Taryup, thanks a million for your replies.

Now i have only one doubt:

In the Original Post by Entropy512 in his CM10.1 thread (http://www.oppoforums.com/threads/rom-4-2-2-official-cyanogenmod-10-1.1715/), he states:

"First time installing CyanogenMod 10.1 to your Oppo Find 5, or coming from another ROM:
    - Read known issues ans FAQs
    - Make sure you're running a proper working ClockworkMod-Recovery
    - Copy GApps and CM10.1 ZIPs to your SDCard
    - Boot into Recovery (hold Volume Down at boot)
    - Flash CM10.1 zip from SDCard
    - Flash GApps zip from SDCard
    - DO A DATA WIPE / FACTORY RESET (otherwise your device will be stuck at boot)"

He has said that "Data wipe" is necessary after flashing GAPPS.
    You say that "Data wipe" will delete GAPPS.

So, which one is correct?
  5. Naser Ali New Member

Hi all,

I have updated the OP. Hope it is clear for all of them.

Thank You.
  6. Taryup Active Memberse

Hello Naser,

It is recommended that you do a data wipe and a factory reset if you're doing a fresh install of Cyanogenmod, though it could work without it. For instance if you're coming from a Cyanogenmod-based ROM, you might not have to do a data wipe or factory reset.
  7. SloThief Membersi

ummm for some reason when i try to run adb shell command it keeps saying device not found but if i choose to connect via Wi-fi (adb connect <ip>) it connects normally ... Any idea what I'm doing wrong?
  8. Taryup Active Memberse

Are you using Windows? Can you get to the device at all, for instance by flashing a recovery?
  9. SloThief Membersi

i am using windows 7 64-bit, i can use fastboot and i can only access ADB via wireless method
  10. francoisperso Active Memberfr

I have installed framaroot that put me superuser but I realize it is not Roote. superuser says it does not have access to the sytem (system denied) and titanium or morelocal tells me he has not received the superuser access
  11. Taryup Active Memberse

I'm not sure where the problem is actually. Maybe you want to create your own thread to see if someone else knows how to fix it.
  12. Taryup Active Memberse

What ROM are you running? You could try a different root method. If you're using the TWRP recovery you can root from there (It's called "Fix Permissions" in some menu).
  13. francoisperso Active Memberfr

rom color 4.2
  14. francoisperso Active Memberfr

15. Taryup Active Memberse

In that case there is a root file in the Third Party Overview. I'm not sure if these methods work with the new 4.2 version, though.
  16. francoisperso Active Memberfr

Thank you. It worked for me taking care that the evidence provided in the post is linked above. Just make sure you pay attention to the reboot requested. I am root and I could change the language via MoreLocale